The Time is Now - Turn Your Precious Metals Loss into a Gain
By Amber Tidd
If you purchased precious metals at a higher price than today’s levels, there is a little-known strategy that you absolutely need to know about. Stock investors can only wish they could take advantage of this strategy, because this is only available to precious metal investors.
Precious Metals Tax Swap
This strategy is called a ‘precious metals tax swap,’ a strategy known to only a small handful of investors. You can capture your losses from previous precious metals purchases for future tax purposes by simply selling your metals and then immediately buying them back – the same day.
- There are many different ways you can benefit from a tax swap:
- You can capture the loss for tax purposes.
- You can offset gains one for one.
- If you do not have gains to offset, you’re permitted to use $3,000 of the total loss per year until you use it all up - up to 5 years.
- You can minimize your exposure to the market by dispensing with the 31-day holding period... also known as the 'wash rule.'
- In most cases, you can get back the exact same merchandise you owned at the new cost basis.
- For those who purchased silver with Perth Mint Certificates (whether it be unallocated, allocated or pooled allocated) at higher prices, you can also sell and repurchase unallocated silver to capture your losses, retain your silver holdings, and receive free storage on unallocated silver going forward.
4 Simple Steps to a Tax Swap
It may sound intimidating at first, and clients have told us, I’m too busy to handle this tax swap right now… It’s too complicated... I already have enough losses... But, with a trusted dealer like ASI, we can make it easy for you.
- A tax swap is as easy as:
- Send ASI your precious metals, numismatic coins or Perth Mint Certificates, regardless of where you purchased them from.
- Sell your metals to ASI and then immediately buy them back at a 2% spread (3.5% for Perth Mint Certificates and 4% spread for numismatic coins).
- We’ll send your precious metals back to you.
- Capture your loss on your future tax returns.
Note: Due to IRS requirements, you are required to physically ship your bullion coins and bars, Perth Mint Certificates or your numismatic coins to us, and we have to physically ship them back to you in order to complete the tax swap.
Benefit from ASI’s Experience
ASI has been in business for 35 years, and has helped hundreds of investors capture losses with tax swaps. We can make the process easy for you by walking you through the calculations of a tax swap before you execute the transaction. This way, you’ll have the numbers you need to consult with your tax attorney, CPA or advisor to see if they agree you can benefit.
Here is an example of how we would calculate your tax swap:
- You purchased (10) 1-ounce Gold American Eagles for $1,650 per coin in the past. You want to take advantage of a tax swap while the spot price of gold is at $1,210 per ounce.
- Sell to ASI Price: $12,150.00
- Buy Back Price: $12,393.00
- Your Total Out-of-Pocket Expenses: $243 + shipping
- Captured Tax Loss: $4,350
You can now claim a loss of $4,350 for your tax returns to offset any profits. This number will vary based on the current spot price and the amount of metals you wish to swap.
The time is right to see if you can capture a loss with a tax swap. Even if you’re unsure if you can benefit from a tax swap, you owe it to your portfolio to call us, and find out how much loss you can turn into a gain. Executing a tax swap at current low prices today ensures you capture a larger loss with a lower cost. Act soon before the market quickly changes!
Call us today at 800-831-0007 or send us an email to find out if a tax swap is right for you!
*Asset Strategies is neither a financial advisor nor a tax advisor. Consult your CPA or tax attorney today. Prices quoted in this article are provided as an example only. Please speak with an ASI representative to recieve your custom pricing.