Introduction to Rare U.S. Coins
Rare coins are breaking record after record at auctions. ASI and Douglas Winter, the world’s leading expert in pre-1933 U.S. rare gold coins, have some of the most astute clients in the world. Rare coins, as part of the Rare Tangible Asset strategy, are the next step to achieving the same benefits of portability, privacy, market performance and currency protection as precious metals. Rare coins are an asset class not correlated to other mainstream, traditional assets and therefore largely unaffected by volatility and downturns in other markets.
Rare coins have been collected and used as a store of wealth for centuries. Nobody can go back to Philadelphia in 1915 to strike more $10 Indian Head coins, or return to New Orleans in 1843 to strike new $2.5 Quarter Eagles. These rare collectibles are a commodity like few others, and there is a limited supply available. Rare coin prices are determined by what is sold around the world and rises as investors and collectors pay more for theses increasingly rare items.
The Rare Coin Index shows an increase of 248% over the last 10 years, and an average gain of 11% per year, over the past 40 years.
Growth Potential and Attention to Details
You won't have to go it alone when choosing Rare Coins for your portfolio. Every coin will be scrutinized and chosen carefully to match your requirements and collector appeal. Our experts will be there to help you tell the difference between a $2,000 coin and a $20,000 coin. Here is an example of how ASI and Doug will help you tell what each Rare Coin is worth, and why.
1876-CC $ 20.00 NGC MS61
Same date, same grade (but different coin) sold for $8,050 in Heritage 09/2008 auction.
Sold for $15,275 in Heritage 11/2013 auction.
1854-S $ 20.00 NGC 45
A different NGC 45 example of this date sold for $ 3,105 in Heritage 03/2005.
Sold for $ 8,225 in Goldberg 01/2014 auction.
1806 Knobbed 6 $ 5.00 PCGS MS63
Same date, same grade (but different coin) sold for $ 24,150 in Goldberg 02/2007 auction.
Sold for $ 31,725 in Heritage 09/2013 auction.
Why Invest in Rare U.S. Coins?
- Average performance of 11% per annum over the last 40 years, outperforming the stock market. According to the Knight Frank Luxury Index, average increase in the last year of 9%, 5 years 83%, 10 years 225%.
- Uncorrelated asset. Value varies based on the internal rare coin market.
- Affordable to the average investor. Coins starting at $5,000 are available.
- ASI and Doug Winter provide you with the expertise to tailor your portfolio to your specific needs and goals.
- Provides liquidity.
- Pass value into the future as a legacy item.
- Less Volatile - According to the Knight Frank Luxury Index, one of the least volatile investments you can own.
- Affordable storage options available.
- World renowned third-party standardized grading services (PCGS & NGC) used to authenticate and verify condition on every coin acquired.
- Perfect for businesses with a profit sharing plan that want to make regular contributions.
5 W’s of the Rare Coin Program
5 Steps to Investing with Rare Coins
Did You Know We Buy Back Your Rare Coins?
Of course, ASI is well-known for selling precious metals, both for personal and IRA funds, for over three decades.
But, did you know we buy back too? Whether you are selling due to financial need or if you are reallocating your assets as a result of periodic rebalancing… we can help.
We can add great value to your portfolio by evaluating and replacing poor performers in your rare coin portfolio with the right truly rare coins at the right price.
ASI is here when you buy, when you hold AND when you sell. Get competitive pricing, efficient service and discuss your options with your Preferred Client Relations representative today.